Koonie:
Most famous for losing more of other people's money than anyone else in history (not a hyberbole) in some sort of stock market debacle in England. But not a fat cat. E.M. Forster wrote, "If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country." I agree with that, and Koonie would be the guy who had the guts. He's the mark, but not in the sense of being dumb. Likes the idea of playing backgammon against the world's best players, understands he's a dog, but wants to play.
Alex:
My boss. Not the best backgammon player, not the best at anything really, but a deceptively shrewd gambler. He beat Koonie for $170,000 in Vegas and set up this trip. The nominal leader of the team playing backgammon against Koonie.
Falafel:
Number one-ranked backgammon player in the world, old friend of Alex. Finds it difficult to restrain himself when others are playing: he can't stand the mistakes they make.
Sander:
One of the very best backgammon players in the world, a high roller. As long as the sums are less than astronomical he doesn't care in the least. I beat him for about $2000 at chess the first night. The next morning, I don't think he even remembered.
Peter:
Along with Falafel and Sander, one of the "three wise men," the three best backgammon players, the people the pro team want sitting opposite Koonie to make maximum profit. Maybe the most naturally gifted player, he almost always plays instantly, and remembers every position from every game played in the night.
Eastgate:
Most recent World Series of Poker champion, a very nice and unassuming kid, my age. The WSOP win is his golden ticket into this world: he gets respect beyond his age and experience. Not a backgammon player, but has a piece of the action.
Humpke:
German backgammon player, a nice guy, so nice that he immediately seems out of place amongst the others and constantly in danger of being shattered.
Morty:
Very strong backgammon player, will bet on anything, anywhere, any time, especially when he's been drinking.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Nate, this is fantastic. I'm hanging out with Giltrow in Chicago right now, and man, this rules. I can't wait to hear all your stories when you get back. Falafel! Tom goes "tell him I say hi!" Also, more stories!
Joining my former's request: more stories please!
Plus, check out some things I had to say about you The life and Fashion Statements of a Poker Intern
Post a Comment