Monday, October 19, 2009

Job Search

Looking for a job is a lot like looking for a girlfriend. You endure a lot of rejection for reasons that never become clear. This is turn can affect your confidence and lead into a downward spiral. In reality you're dealing with a problem of scarcity: many applicants, few positions. But however low your chance in any trial, if you run enough trials eventually you will win. Those who succeed are not necessarily the most charming or attractive, but the best equipped to handle rejection. Or at least, that's one view you can take to stay sane.

I applied for a job as a hotel night auditor, imagining playing poker on a laptop all night with occasional breaks to bring a guest an extra toothbrush. Another ad sought out a research assistant with interests in human psychology and math. I sent an email citing my ongoing field study in applied math and human psychology, but never heard back. I saw an ad in the pizza place down the street from my house and filled out an application for a delivery guy, which would have been a disaster since I can't drive three blocks without getting lost.

When I did finally get a job it took me awhile to realize it. Halfway through filling out the paperwork I said, "Wait, so you're hiring me?" to which the human resources lady nodded and returned to examining her nails. I'll be working at Zingerman's Mail Order from November to the end of December. They have a bonanza of orders during the holiday season and need extra people to answer the phones.

Zingerman's is Ann Arbor's food mecca, a deli that has expanded to include a bakery, creamery, roadhouse (a separate restaurant), and the aforementioned mail order division, also housed in its own building. They have a devotion to customer service that is either enthusiastic and fun, or cultish and annoying, depending on your perspective. I'll be striving for the enthusiastic and fun angle. Their catalog features a huge range of oils, vinegars, cheeses, chocolates and other foods that you can't find anywhere else. Their commitment to traditional and authentic preparations can come off as snobbish at times, but they do back it up with some amazing food.

Zingerman's factored into my last job search as well. I was one of two finalists for a position at the meat and cheese counter in the deli, but didn't make it in the end. Oddly enough the person who got the job was my teammate in a paddle boat race (true story). Maybe if I had gotten that job I would still be working there today, never having ventured into gambling, happily plying my trade as a food maven. Or maybe I would have quit after a few weeks, you never know.

In any case a job that involves talking up food is a pretty natural fit for me, and the time frame is convenient as well. If all goes to plan I will be crushing online poker by the new year and won't have to worry about finding another job. I start at Zingerman's at the beginning of November, so I'll be devoting the next two weeks to working on my poker game around the clock.

6 comments:

Phil Dokas said...

Huzzah! I'm so pumped to hear that you're there. But now that you've got the internal hookup can we work on getting a sandwich delivery thing set up? Because seriously, I get these cravings for Benno's Birdie and god, I'd make haphazard financial decisions if I could get them at any time.

steven h hall said...

i worked at mail order before. as delicious as you imagine it to be, but the shifts can be long, especially as the holidays approach. my advice to you: stay as far to the start of the line as possible. packing, mailing and loading are much harder on you than working the breadline. show early that you know the difference between challah and onion rye, it'll be all good.

also, get in good with the manager who controls the music. see you in december.

Nate said...

My understanding is that I'll be answering phones, so I don't think it will be backbreaking physical labor, but it probably will be a lot of hours.

Nate said...

Thanks for the advice...good call on the music, I will have to get on that right away.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I agree with you, finding a job is not as easy as you think. You need to need to consider a lot of things to be qualified for the right job for you. Anyway, thanks for sharing your tips. It really helps.

career guide