Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Polarizing Situation

There is nothing worse than a line for tip amount on your credit card receipt at the yogurt shop. No one would think any less of you for not tipping on yogurt, but a question once asked cannot be unasked. Now you have two choices: tip or don't tip. But the choice you don't have is to do nothing, to never think of it at all. They've taken that choice from you.

Why not just leave the tip line blank? Because diabolical yogurt agents could fill in that line with anything they damn well please.

There's no avoiding it. You have to choose. If you choose not to tip, you can either write in the zeros, or draw a slash through the line. The slash is particularly dismissive. I don't have the time to write a few zeros, which, by the way, is what you'll be getting from me: nothing. But the zeros are hardly better. Either way it's obvious you thought about it and chose to give nothing. You came. You saw. You stiffed.

If you tip, not only are you out the money, you look like a sap. Tipping for yogurt! You could split the difference and tip a smaller fraction, but that just raises more problems. They'll assume you're a cheapskate, that 7% is your standard tip. Or is it 7% What will you choose to give once unmoored from the convention of 15%-20%? That question alone could occupy your whole afternoon.

Tipping something is too generous, tipping nothing is nasty. I don't want to be an asshole, but I don't want to be that nice either.

5 comments:

Will said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Will said...

Slash through the line and leave tips in cash whenever you can. Your servers will appreciate it.

Nate said...

But what if I don't want to tip at all? I'm not talking about servers and waiters here, I'm talking about staff at places where you would reasonably be expected to tip.

Nate said...

*NOT reasonably be expected to tip

Will said...

My point is that because I leave tips in cash even when paying with a credit card, I don't feel any qualms about slashing through that line; I do it every time.

That's not WHY I leave tips in cash, though. Leaving tips in cash affords the server the opportunity to decide how much of it they want to declare for tax purposes, so it's a favor to them.